Release Notes for Fractal Architect 3D
Changes for Version 3.0.1 (Video Animator)
- Largest size for thumbnails in thumbnail grids now much larger
Bug Fixes ====
- Hot fix for OS X 10.9.1 & Intel Iris Graphics GPU's
- Fixed video quality issue under OS X 10.9
- Duplicated keyframes are now shown correctly
- When rendering to video, frame size of 940X540 got rendered to 640X480 - fixed
- Changing Render to File's width or height now works correctly when Aspect Ratio is locked
- Pitch random value range now from 0. to 360. instead of 0. to 180.
Changes for Version 3.0 (Video Animator)
Rendering Engine Improvements
The rendering engine has been improved in many ways.
As always, full support for rendering on both GPUs and CPUs. Rendering on the GPU is so much faster than CPU rendering.
- Xaos and Linked transform support in OpenCL renderer
Xaos Variants plus Linked transform support by random fractal generator.
- Video animation motion blur
- Render video animations to either image file sequence or movie
- Create movie from image file sequence utility included.
- 2D and 3D Hack fractal rendering - 330 variation types
- Support for Direct color variation types
- Render state always preserved when rendering to file
- Continuous rendering mode
- Duo pane display of rendered images - shows incremental improvement
Full support for both 2D and 3D fractals in all areas of app:
Huge Variation Types Library
- Preview window
- random fractal generator
- Camera variants
- Triangle Editor
330 variation types are included (more to follow).
- 82 3D variation types
- 284 2D variation types
- 15 direct color variation types
Random Generation Changes
- easy to make, easy to switch between
- no DLL’s
- Source repository included - no hunting all over the Internet for Apophysis DLL’s
- Full Variation source code include- - licensed under GPL3
- Can render files from any variation set - no need to shut down app and move DLL’s
- Automatic switching between 2D and 3D fractals
- Support for both 2D and 3D variation sets
- Support added for linked transform and final transform
- 3D Camera randomization for 3D fractals
Many new variant categories:
- Color Shift - Hue, Saturation, Brightness
- Background color
- Pre/Post Matrix - Full Control
- Crazy Matrix -same as old Matrix variants
- Variation Weight
- Variation Parameters
Video Creation and Image File Sequence Rendering Improvements and Bug Fixes =========
1) Motion Blur - For Direct-to-Video rendering targeting either a new Video or a new or existing Image file sequence.
Video animations using loop and/or morph animation now have automatic "free" motion blur added.
No rendering performance penalty for the "free" motion blur.
Larger frames typically need no extra motion blur beyond the automatically added blur amount.
Extra motion blur amounts can be added to smaller frame sizes - Extra motion blur requires a higher render quality.
2) Render to Image file Sequences Direct-to-Video rendering dialog can now create a new Image file sequence - without the final video creation step.
Image file sequences can be converted to new videos later using either Fractal Architect or other products like Apple Compressor.
3) Video bit rate - The output video's average bit rate (H.264 codec) is now settable - so you don't lose video quality from excessive video compression.
Video bit rates can target: a) Web services like Vimeo or YouTube, b) Blue Ray disk, or c) DVD disk.
4) Memory leaks from rendering lots of frames is fixed.
Direct-to-video and Image-sequence rendering that previously had large memory leaks is now fixed. Tested with 1200 frame image sequence rendering.
5) Apple Compressor compatibility. Output image file sequences are compatible with Apple Compressor, for those that want the highest level of control over created video image quality.
6) 30 frames per second is now the default video frame rate.
7) Lower memory consumption. Direct-to-video rendering engine has been improved to lower the amount of memory used by the program when creating long animated videos.
8) Convert Image File Sequence to New Video Improvements - now shows the new video's estimated movie size and movie duration.
On Mountain Lion, JPEG image file sequences can now be converted to a video.
On Snow Leopard, created videos now use the Maximum codec quality setting instead of the High codec quality setting.
On later versions of Mac OS, codec quality is settable by setting the video bit rate.
9) Keyframes window's Loop/Morph Animation Bug Fixes
Bug fix: narrowed render range frames now coincide with full length rendered frames :
Rendering a subset of the video frames (instead of all loop/morph animated video frames for the entire set of Keyframes) now renders the same identical output video frames
as for the entire possible set of video frames. This makes it possible to create video (or image file sequences) snippets of just a portion of the possible animation.
These snippets can be combined together later in Quicktime Player.
Narrowed frame range now shows which initial keyframe and if the first portion Loops or Morphs.
10) Save Off Frames to another Flame File feature has been removed
Instead the button is now Make Frames and it allows you to directly create rendered image file sequences.
11) Image File Sequence Folder naming
For a flame file name "MyFractal", when rendering 640 by 480 frames, the output image file sequence folder will be named:
MyFractal Frame Images 640x480
12) Can create .mov, .mpg4 and .m4v movie file types on Lion & Mountain Lion - create .mov on Snow Leopard
13) Bug Fix on Lion & Mountain Lion: created videos now have the correct video time duration
(The bug produced videos that were off in duration by one video frame).
Video Splicing =======
1) New feature to splice two videos together.
Variant Window Improvements =======
1) New Variants feature: Show Original Quicklook - shows the original fractal from which the variants were created
2) Combined Rotate-Scale-Translate Matrix variants - older matrix feature now called "Crazy Matrix"
3) Background color variants
4) Mastering properties variants - affect Gamma, Gamma Threshold, Vibrancy, & Brightness
5) Color Shift variants where you choose to randomize hue, saturation, and/or brightness of colors
6) Xaos weight variants
7) Can add new Transforms with their own variation mixes.
Random Fractal Generation Improvements =======
1) Added contribution weights with each variation type to Random Fractal generation
2) Favorite Variation Blends - save your favorite variation blends
KeyFrames Module Improvements =======
1) To append a new keyframe you can:
a) drag a fractal and drop it onto the Preview window's Frames button or onto the Preview fractal area itself.
b) Open the Keyframes window and drop the fractal between, before, or after other keyframes.
2) You can now reorder keyframes by using the ⌘+→ or ⌘+← key combinations. Select a keyframe then use the appropriate key combination to move it right or left.
Cross-Breeder Module Improvements =======
1) Pull Changes button - pulls changes made to the keyframes in other editor windows
2) Penultimate checkbox setting - When creating videos by linking together clips, sometimes you don't want the interpolation to go to completion or you will have repeated video frames. The penultimate setting controls whether created videos or image file sequences that contain the last "ultimate" interpolation step. It the penultimate checkbox is checked, the "ultimate" frame is not made. This allows you to link animation clips without repeated frames.
3) Bug fix: Morphing keyframes that have a final transform no longer causes an incorrect color shift.
4. The Curve Shape's A, B, and Tau parameters text labels are fully editable so you can set their values exactly,
In-Progress Improvements ========
Background bitmap images can be specified for a fractal - not just a single background color
Major Improvements ========
1) New Fractal Info text display - easier to read than source text.
2) Xaos weights now supported by OpenCL renderer
3) Better support for Xaos weights throughout the product
4) Random fractal creation now supports optional randomized Xaos weights (the new default).
5) When saved to .fa file, color nodes are not expanded to 256 - so the original color nodes can be edited
6) Triangle Editor now shows fractal as background of the Triangles view
7) Render State window always shown when doing a Render to File - not saved to file system initially (less annoying)
8) OpenCL renderer determines more accurate gamma setting based on per-point render histories
Random value ranges for variation parameters can now be set from Random Fractal Generator
Random fractal generator has a checkbox that allows you to see the Fuse and Retained fraction info for each random fractal.
This gives you info needed to properly set the Fused cutoff and the Retained cutoff slider settings.
Random filtering now includes UnretainedCutoff to filter out fractals that do not retain enough points in histogram
Can now drop fractal onto variations window and it will replace the initial fractal with the new one and run a new variant batch
Minor Improvements ========
1) New preferences for making Render to File (or Render Batch) width & height, colorspace, and render quality settings sticky.
2) Render Status log is no longer opened on startup. Use Window > Render Status Log menu item to open it.
3) Xaos Weights panel in Triangle editor now has a Transform selector - so you can switch the affected transform directly from the panel
4) Home Page now opens to the "Make New" tab when the app is started.
5) Fractal images do NOT open up scaled down for Retina support on Retina Macbook Pro's
6) Quick Spin Slider Panels now have steppers for the slider endpoint values
7) Coarse/fine adjustment for Triangle view manipulation with mouse
New Split paned Image viewer for use with RenderState recharge renders
Variations that have at least one variation parameter have a + sign appended to their name in the Random Fractal Generator
Render to File - Render State Improvements =======
1) New Split paned Image viewer for use with Recharge renders - shows before and after affect on image
2) Optional Continuous Rendering Mode - render until you like the image
3) Render state windows now float above ordinary windows so that render progress is always visible
Crash Fixes For: =======
1) Intermittent (rare) crash of CPU based OpenCL renders
2) Crash from trying to open a .fa file that you don't have permission to read
3) Add / Remove Transform in Triangle Editor no longer causes a later crash
4) Crash in Triangle editor from clicking on Final Transform tab
5) Triangle editor crash on remove all transforms
Other Bug Fixes ======
1) Canceling Random Fractal Generation did not work properly.
2) Fixed the Conversion of an Image File Sequence to a new video would produce bad images on Mountain Lion.
3) Fixed Render to File preference for Colorspace being ignored.
4) Quicklook no longer initially shows the last quick looked fractal.
5) Closing Quicklook window might go back to the wrong prior window.
6) Adding a new linear transform no longer changes the fractal color
7) Bug fix for initial quicklook image being flipped from Preview window (Mountain Lion & Lion only)
8) Render image to File would not always show the rendered image when the render is finished
9) In Color Gradient editor, changing a color node's color updates the color gradient view at the top
10) Transform color speed changes are now undoable
11) Adding a new linear transform no longer changes the fractal color
12) Double clicking on an interpolated thumbnail would apply an incorrect value for the related parameter
13) From Triangle Editor, Quick Spin for Color speed would create video frames outside the [0, 1] range of legal color speed values
Bug fix where color speed changes were not undoable and undo of links did not undo correctly
Release Notes for Fractal Architect 2 & Serendipity
Changes for Version 2.4.5 (Firestorm)
- Largest size for thumbnails in thumbnail grids now much larger
- Improved video quality - video bitrate set for Youtube and Youtube HD
Bug Fixes ====
- Hot fix for OS X 10.9.1 & Intel Iris Graphics GPU's
- Fixed video quality issue under OS X 10.9
- Duplicated keyframes are now shown correctly
- When rendering to video, frame size of 940X540 got rendered to 640X480 - fixed
- Changing Render to File's width or height now works correctly when Aspect Ratio is locked
- Render to Video’s render range narrowing fixed
- Fixed crash that could happen after closing variant’s window
- Fixed Make Movies from Image Files for Mavericks and Mountain Lion
- Julian variation formula improved
Changes for Version 2.4.4 (Firestorm)
- Intel HD 4000 and Intel HD 5000 GPUs supported
Bug Fixes ====
- Can now handle Macs having more than one GPU
Changes for Version 2.4.3 (Firestorm)
Crash Fixes For: =======
- When fractal is saved to .fa file (default file type), color nodes are not expanded to 256 - so the original color nodes can be edited in the future
- Important enhancement: in Snow Leopard movies are now converted from image sequences with Maximum Codec quality - not High quality as before
Other Bug Fixes ====
- Intermittent (rare) crash of CPU based OpenCL renders
- Crash from trying to open a .fa file that you don't have permission to read
- Add / Remove Transform in Triangle Editor no longer causes a later crash
- Crash in Triangle editor from clicking on Final Transform tab
- Triangle editor crash on remove all transforms
- Render image to File would not always show the rendered image when the render is finished
- In Color Gradient editor, changing a color node's color updates the color gradient view at the top
- Quicklook for fractals now behaves correctly
- Adding a new linear transform no longer changes the fractal color
- Cross Breeder morphing of fractals where 1 of them has a final form no longer causes incorrect color shifts
- Transform color speed changes are now undoable
Changes for Version 2.4.2 (Firestorm)
1) You can drop a dragged fractal onto the Preview window's Frames button and it will be appended as a new keyframe.
2) All random transforms now have their Rotates property set (Rotates property allows looping animations to rotate the transform).
Prior behavior was that the Rotates property is randomly set - which could cause some fractals to not show looping animations.
3) Cross-Breeder can now pull keyframe changes made by you when editing the keyframes with Triangle editor.
4) Fractal document is auto-saved before Animation rendering.
Triangle Editor's Quick-Spin Interpolator BugFixes ========
1) Fixed: Using Quick-Spin interpolator to change variation weights might change the wrong variation weight.
2) Fixed: Quick-Spin interpolator would apply the wrong interpolation value when you choose one of the interpolated thumbnail images.
3) Fixed: Quick-Spin interpolator would not reset the fractal back to its original state, if no interpolated thumbnail image was chosen.
Other BugFixes ========
1) Fixed: Loop-Morph Animation producing all-black frames
2) Fixed: Flame Text view (shows fractal definition as XML text) might show the wrong frame or thumbnail's definition.
Changes for Version 2.4.1 (Firestorm)
1) Fix for OpenGL change in Mountain Lion 10.8.3 that affects Macs with ATI GPUs. Prevents all-white fractal preview window.
Changes for Version 2.4.0 (FireStorm)
Dedicated to the 360 families that lost their homes from the Waldo Canyon Fire June 2012
Welcome to Fractal Serendipity =========
Fractal Serendipity is a modularized, "a la carte" version of the app. It can be fully upgraded to have the exact same feature set as Fractal Architect 2.
(There is no need to purchase both apps! )
Retina Mac optional HiDPI rendering is now supported =========
1) On Macs with Retina display, you have the option of rendering at 2X HiDPI resolution for slightly better appearance.
Note: rendering these HiDPI resolution windows takes 4X longer to render than at standard resolution.
Default is standard resolution (faster rendering for slightly worse image appearance).
You can toggle between Standard and HiDPI (Retina) resolution at any point.
2) New 2X HiDPI rendering preference on Macs with Retina displays.
3) On Preview window, you can switch resolutions from Context menu (opened with right mouse button click) or by key shortcut: Cmd-2
4) When opening an image file on Mac with Retina display, images are displayed at same resolution as Preview app.
You can switch the view to standard resolution, so it appears 2X larger.
1) File Batch rendering dialog now has a popup menu that lets you select from popular video frame sizes.
2) If Stash has unsaved thumbnails, the Stash is shown and you are asked if you want to save it. You can cancel the Quit there too.
3) Rendering a tiny or very small image to a file does not open them when finished rendering (they still render just fine).
4) CUDA 5.0 now supported (on Snow Leopard only).
5) Log window and Stash now open minimized in the Dock.
6) Parameter interpolation now compensates automatically for parameters that are naturally cyclic (like triangle rotation, etc.)
Improvements for Mountain Lion =========
1) iCloud integration. Documents can be saved to and opened from iCloud.
2) Popup notifications when rendering to file, rendering a file batch, or rendering a video finishes.
3) Mountain Lion fractal document and image sharing is available.
This allows you to share documents or image files to:
1) Preview window on Macs with Nvidia GPUs are more robust and don't stop updating their view.
2) Color Gradient editor bug fixes - hue rotation fixed
3) Fixed Variant window closing when a manual thumbnail refresh is done.
4) Fixed flipped Preview window image when using CUDA renderer (Snow Leopard only).
Changes for Version 2.3.2 (Folio)
1) BIg Change: The Quicklook plugin (that creates thumbnails and Quicklook Previews for the Finder with .flame and .flam3 files) is no longer part of the app.
Apple's sandboxing requirement for Mac App Store apps forced the plugin's removal from the app.
You can go to http://fractalarchitect.net/support.html to download the free plugin installer app: Fractal Quicklook.
2) Nvidia GT 650M GPU (in 2012 Macbook Pros) can now be used for OpenCL rendering.
3) When dragging new random fractals to the Finder and dropping them, the created files are the new default .fa file type, not the older .flame file type.
4) Render state files no longer require the Finder Quicklook plugin to display Finder thumbnails and show Finder Quicklook previews.
BugFix for Older Macs with Intel Core 2 Duo CPU
1) Fixed compiler setting that caused crash on startup with 2006 & 2007 Macs.
BugFixes for Macs that do not Have Nvidia GPUs ========
The fixes in 2.3.1 for Mountain Lion and Macs with Nvidia GPUs created bugs in Lion and Snow Leopard.
1) Fix for frames appear flipped/mirrored in the main preview window.
2) Fix for double-clicking a frame (in a multi-framed fractal) no longer makes it the current frame in the preview window.
3) Fix for trying to add a frame (in a multi-framed fractal) to the stash always adds the initial frame from the open file.
Changes for Version 2.3.1 (Folio)
1) Copy/Paste of multiple keyframes now supported with both Stash and Keyframes window
2) QuickLook Folio Preview now is same aspect ratio as the first keyframe
3) QuickLook Preview Image is now rendered when the file is saved or autosaved.
1) Mountain Lion problems on Macs with Nvidia GPUs (Lion and Snow Leopard is unaffected. ATI and Intel GPUs are not affected.)
a) The main Preview window has been reimplemented using Core Animation to avoid the Nvidia specific OpenGL bug(s) that cause the Preview window to be blank.
(On Macs without Nvidia GPUs, the original OpenGL implementation of the Preview window is used [as it works better than the Core Animation implementation])
b) At present, the OpenCL support provided by Mountain Lion for all Nvidia GPUs is broken. Support for ATI GPUs has no problems.
Rather than have error prone code for each specific Nvidia GPU type, the app will switch back to OpenCL on CPU rendering if the OpenCL on GPU API is broken.
(Here broken OpenCL support means that the Apple provided OpenCL compiler is unable to build the Fractal Architect OpenGL kernels on those specific GPUs.)
2) Fixed crash when generating Random fractals with Make Random window in Lion Full screen mode
3) Margins for Folio set on the Batch rendering dialog now work right
4) Fixed creation of Quicklook previews (for Folio & Movie)
5) CUDA renderer fixes: Batch rendering now can make Folio and/or movie; Render Direct to Video created video now has correct colors
Changes for Version 2.3 (Folio)
This release is all about Fractal keyframe collections.
The app has always supported multiple keyframes, but never before with PDF Folios, Loop/Morph Video Animation, or instant Finder Quicklook Preview support.
It has been performance optimized for files with thousands of keyframes too.
Big New Features =========
1) Create lengthy looping/morphing Video Animations from Fractal keyframes.
2) Create PDF Folios from keyframes
3) Major improvements for working with fractal keyframe collections instead of just single fractals
4) Greatly Improved Finder Quicklook support for pre-rendered images, PDF Folios, and Movies
Create Loop/Morph Video Animations from Keyframes ======
Loop/Morph Animations can be created directory from the Keyframes window.
a) You can either create a video there or put the interpolated animation frames into another Flame file.
b) You have control over the number of frames used in each step in the animation sequence.
c) You can render the video in separate pieces (Use Quicktime Player to merge them together later.)
d) Complete control on video image size, frame rate, codec
e) You can choose to have Catmull-Rom spline smoothing applied to the animation.
f) For pre-interpolated keyframes, you can also create a video from the frames as is with not additional interpolation.PDF Folio Creation ========
PDF Folios hold multiple high quality images, one per page. Folios have great support in Mac OS X. Work great on iPads too.
a) Create Folio from Keyframes window or from any thumbnail grid in the app.
b) Shortcuts for rendering PDF folios for either Retina or non-Retina iPad.
c) Shortcut for creating Finder Quicklook PDF Folio.
d) Optional JPEG Compression of Folio images to reduce Folio file size.Keyframe Collection Management Improvements =========
a) Multiple select - multiple flame drag & drop
b) Two keyframes windows can be open at once. For files with hundreds of keyframes this is useful. You can drag & drop between them.
c) You can override the 25 flame render limit (at a time) for each keyframe window (For large files, this keeps the app interactive.) You can page up/down to see more keyframes.
d) Keyframe window can now enter Full Screen mode on Lion
e) Keyframe window has had its controls better laid out for the available control area.
f) You can have now have multiple Triangle and Color Gradient editors open at the same time for different keyframes inside the same Flame file.
g) Gallery, Recently Opened fractals, and Finder Quicklook plugin have been performance optimized for extremely large flame files with thousands of keyframes.Pre-rendered Finder Quicklook Features and new Fractal Architect file type (.fa) =======
New Fractal Architect file type (.fa) file ending. .flame and .flam3 files still supported.
The new file type is the new default. You can convert files to/from the other file types (.flame and .flam3).
New file type is a directory with an embedded flame file and holds pre-rendered:
a) Finder thumbnail,
b) One Quicklook Preview media file which can be either a: PDF Folio, Large PNG Image, or Quicktime Movie
Finder Quicklook supports all of these formats - no waiting for a render to finish when using the Finder to preview your fractal collection!
You can embed any pre-existing PDF Folio or Movie inside the flame file.
You can render a new PNG image, PDF Folio, or Quicktime movie for embedding in the flame file at any time.
Preview thumbnail is updated with every manual or auto save.
Large Quicklook preview image is rendered when the file is closed (after it has been changed). (unless you have assigned a PDF or Movie as the Preview media type)Other Improvements =============
1) Can now break up Frame Batch rendering to external image file batches into chunks.
2) Can add more images to a pre-existing image file batch.
3) Option - Click on Show Text button shows text for entire flame file, not just the visible keyframe.
4) On Cross Breeder you can open the Triangle editor for the From and To fractals from inside the Cross Breeder window.
5) Both CUDA and OpenCL renderers have a selectable Epsilon setting so you can choose between historic flam3 and flam4 rendering styles.
6) Accurate Time rendering estimates that are updated in real time. Compensates for CPU versus GPU rendering.
7) You can create videos in pieces and merge the pieces in Quicktime Player or iMovie later.
8) Undo architecture changed. Undo state for keyframes position. Each keyframe has its own undo state.
9) Closing a Triangle editor window now automatically updates in other visible window with the same keyframe in it. Refresh Others button instead of Refresh Preview.
These updates propagate to Preview windows, Keyframe windows, Cross Breeder windows.
10) Images can be dragged from Preview windows, Rendered image windows, and thumbnails to other applications.
Some other applications do not properly handle when a fractal definition is on the pasteboard along with an image though.
From a Rendered image window, you must hold down the Option key when dragging an image and dropping it onto another app.
11) Thumbnail videos throughout now have a selectable frame rate.
12) Shift key + mouse click Multiple Selection is supported by the many thumbnail grids throughout the app.
13) CUDA support for CUDA 4.2.9 on Snow Leopard.
Bug Fixes ========
1) Stash window's Home button is more permissive. It now always opens a new Preview window, unless a Preview window with that same fractal is already open.
2) Memory Leaks fixed.
3) Fixed crash when Welcome Screen was closed while a render was still in progress.
4) Fixes for OpenCL bugs/changes in Lion 10.7.4.
5) Quarantine of Nvidia GT 650M GPU (on 2012 Macbook Pros) until its OpenCL driver is fixed.
Changes for Version 2.2 (Recharger)
This is customer requested features release - almost all features were requested by various users.
Feature Change ================
1. New BIG Feature
for Render to File: (OpenCL rendering only)
You can stop the render and save the Render State to a file. This allows you to resume the render at a later date.
You can choose to Save all Render State when rendering. This allows you to add more Quality to the render later and experiment with Post processing parameter changes.
2. New Feature
: Fractal Stash. Allows you to put your favorite fractals into a Stash window. The thumbnails in the Stash can be saved to a new composite
3. New Feature
(OpenCL rendering only) : Render State files. When render state is saved to disk, a new file with extension .flrs file is created. Finder Quicklook will show the fractal's thumbnail rendering with a progress bar showing the saved rendering progress. You can open the Render State files from the app - it is a new supported file type.
4. New Feature
(OpenCL rendering only): A new Render State panel shows the saved rendering state and allows you to Resume the render, Post Process again, or view the fractal's Histogram.
5. New Feature
(OpenCL rendering only): A Histogram Viewer panel shows the fractal histogram (part of the rendering state).
6. Fractal Symmetry is now one of the parameters that can be set for random fractal generation.
7. Gamma threshold is now supported by the OpenCL and CUDA renderers.
8. Variants Editor changes:
a) New Symmetry Tab - see how fractal symmetry variants effect image
a) New Final Transform Tab - experiment with change the final transform
c) Transform Options tab now shows sliders to vary the strength of the variation change for weight, color index, color speed, and variation weight.
9. Image viewer now supports either Actual Size or Size to Fit viewing options.Smaller Changes ======
1. Thumbnail size slider only affect the current window. It uses to affect all visible thumbnails in all windows.
2. You can now open the Triangle Editor from Welcome page thumbnail or Variant thumbnail.
3. Rendered image files now show the render quality as part of the window title.
4. You can now override the memory used for a Render to file. This can force the renderer to tile, which reduces the memory required by the render.
5. Render to Files now shows elapsed render time and estimation completion times. A beep is now sounded when the render finishes.Bug Fixes =========
1. Possible fix for OpenCL CPU rendering engine stability problem.
2. Histogram clipping no longer happens with extremely high quality renders (OpenCL rendering only).
3. Fixed intermittent bug where you had to click the Render to File button twice.
4. Optimizations for ATI 4xxx generation GPUs. Quicklook Finder plugin no longer uses ATI 4xxx GPU to render thumbnails.
OpenCL rendering using ATI 4xxx GPU is actually slower than CPU (not true for other GPUs).
5. OpenCL CPU renderer now checks free CPU memory and tiles if the render needs more memory than is available.
6. For better App Sandboxing compatibility, you first choose the image type to render to before choosing the filename.
7. Memory leaks have been fixed.
8. Make New Tab of Welcome window - Fixed Cancel Random button not working with OpenCL renderers.
9. Interpolated thumbnail viewer no longer opens a Preview window when double clicking or hitting the Enter key.
10. Direct Render to Video now produces movies of same quality as Render Batch/Convert Batch to Video
Changes for Version 2.1.1
Slight Performance Improvement =========
OpenCL rendering on CPU is about 6.5% faster than on 2.1.0.
Bug Fixes =========
1. On certain Intel CPUs, random rendering crashes occurred. Worked around OpenCL compiler optimizer bug.
2. If app was moved to a folder with spaces, like "My Apps", the app could not compile its OpenCL renderers. Worked around OpenCL compiler bug.
3. Making videos now works on Snow Leopard - accidentally broken in 2.1.0.
Changes for Version 2.1
Big Change ================
1. The app has been Sandboxed on Lion Mac OS X to comply with Apple's sandboxing requirement for Mac App Store products.
2. Rendering engines available have changed. Sandboxing the app (on Lion only) disables plugin renderers. So the renderers are:
Lion: OpenCL CPU and GPU (if OpenCL capable GPU is present on the system)
Snow Leopard: OpenCL CPU, CUDA (Nvidia GPU only, if CUDA installed on system), Flam3 (if user provides the Flam3 plugin)
3. On Lion, AV Foundation is used to render movies instead of QuickTime. The choice of Codecs for making movies is different (both support default H.264).Bug Fixes =========
1. Fractals rendered to file with transparent backgrounds did not render properly.
2. Fixed possible crash when opening the Color Gradient editor seen only on certain Mac Pros.
3. Making a video from the Triangle editor no longer changes the fractal permanently.
4. Fixed View -> Variants menu entry being enabled when it should not be.
5. Fix for upside down vertical tiling of very large tiled images
6. Progress bar for very large tiled images no longer jumps back to 0% progress at start of rendering each tile.
7. CUDA renderer did not create Render Direct to Movie movies at the correct size. They were very small.
8. Rendering to file always created two or more fractal tiles, when only one was needed.
Minor Change ============
1. CUDA libraries have been updated to 4.1.28. Speed improvement.
Changes for Version 2.0 - First Fractal Architect 2 Release
New and Improved Features ================
1. New Big Feature:
Cross-Breeder editor allows you to breed two fractals and create video animations of the cross breeding.
Complete control of the interpolation curve used.
2. New Big Feature:
New OpenCL based renderer. Intel CPU based rendering supported on all Intel Macs.
On Lion, GPU accelerated rendering is available for Macs with recent Nvidia & ATI GPUs.
(Older GPUs [2008 and earlier] may not be capable of OpenCL acceleration, see http://www.apple.com/macosx/specs.html).
Flam3 is no longer bundled.
3. New Big Feature:
Basic animation & animation video creation. You can animate and create videos by:
a) Rotating a specific triangle
b) Rotating multiple triangles (those that whose Rotates
setting is checked in the Transform list) (Flam3-like animation of multiple triangles.)
c) Enlarging/Shrinking a specific triangle
d) Moving a specific triangle up, down, left, or right.
e ) Crossing breeding two fractals.
f) Changing these flame parameters: transform weight, color index, color speed, opacity
hue, viewport x&y, viewport scale, zoom, & rotation
g) Changing Variation weights & variation parameter values
You can animate by dragging a slider, showing 2 - 30 thumbnails, show a little video using those thumbnails, OR create a high quality video of the animation (to be saved to a file).
4. Improved workflow
: Button bar allowing easy access to fractal editing features. Easy switching between the various editor windows.
5. Fractal Architect is Flam3-free.
Flam3 is no longer bundled . Snow Leopard users can install their own copy of the Flam3 render and have FA use it. Lion users can right now install Flam3, but the
upcoming Sandbox requirement for Lion Mac App Store apps, may remove that capability. (When FA is sandboxed in the near future, we will know the answer then.)Minor Features =========
1. Print Progress bar now shows printing progress. Default printing orientation is now Landscape.
2. Fractal Architect is now a 64 bit application.
3. Triangle editor now has a detachable fractal preview. When detached, you can move it around and resize it as you like.
4. You can resize thumbnails on the HomePage and Variants editor with a slider and re-render the thumbnails for the new size.
Bug Fixes =========
1. Better handling of miscellaneous Flam3 specific rendering parameters.
2. Secant2 variation now properly handled (secant variation dropped). Modulus & oscilloscope variations are fixed.
3. Color palettes with less than 256 color nodes are now properly rendered on Flam3. (flam3 compatibility)
4. Flam4 CUDA renderer is now more compatible with flam3 renderer.
Possible Issue for those using other Flame Fractal apps =====
1. Animations are added to the end of the Fractal's .flame file. You may need to copy the file and remove the animation portion if you want to use the file outside of Fractal Architect.
Minor Annoyance when switching to the OpenCL GPU renderer the first time
There will be a big pause in the app when you switch to OpenCL GPU based rendering the first time. The OpenCL runtime is busy compiling the kernel code for your specific GPU.
The same will happen with the Quicklook view in the Finder the first time you open Quicklook on a .flame or .flam3 fractal file.
1. Motion blur is not added to animations (yet).
2. WARNING: The OpenCL renderer and Flam4CUDA renderer do not yet support Xaos. You must use the Flam3 renderer to see the Xaos effects.
3. On Snow Leopard, OpeCL GPU acceleration is not available (it is on Lion) - This is due to big bugs in Apple's OpenCL implementation that have never been fixed on Snow Leopard.
Note: Flam4CUDA can be used in place of OpenCL for Nvidia GPUs.
4. OpenCL GPU rendering only used the first GPU device seen. Extra GPU's are not used (Mac Pro's with multiple video cards).
Some Omissions to be Revisited in Later Point Releases ======
1. Add Basic Animation capability (morph/rotate animations) to the Keyframes view (accessed with Frames button on Preview window).
2. Revisit Snow Leopard OpenCL GPU renderers and see if it is possible to workaround the serious bugs seen.
3. Add Xaos support to the OpenCL renderer and (maybe) to Flam4CUDA
4. Add support for multiple GPUs or GPU+CPU to the OpenCL renderer.
5. Add motion blur to animations with the OpenCL renderer.
Flam4CUDA GPU accelerated renderer (Nvidia GPU's only) =========
This renderer is now deprecated and will be removed when Snow Leopard support is dropped at some point in the future (couple of years in the future).
Issues (Bring Your Own Flam3) ========
1. flam3-palettes.xml, the file holding the standard Flam3 palette collection is no longer shipped with the app. You can provide your own copy and FA will use it.
2. Flam3 renderer and standard color palettes are not bundled with Fractal Architect. You may provide your own copy of Flam3 and FA will use it.
(copy flam3-render and flam3-palettes.xml into the ~/Library/Application Support/FractalArchitect2/flam3 directory.)
Resolution of Version 1.3 Known Issues on Lion =======
1. Lion 10.7.2 no longer has the missing dropped file issue with the Finder.
2. Wrong sized thumbnail issue with Preview window is fixed.
Changes for Version 1.3 New and Improved Features for Mac OS X Lion ================
1. Lion Full Screen mode support.
2. Lion Autosaving, File Versioning, Version Browser
3. Lion Autosaving preferences: Autosaving delay & Autosaving Enable/Disable (Enabled is the default).New and Improved Features ================
1. New Big Feature:
Flame Variants window allowing you to see how random changes affects your fractal.
Variants affect one or more of: colors, Transform weights, pre/post matrix tweaking, and mix-in other transforms.
You select the types of changes to be applied. Fractal Architect will create the variants for you.
Keep rolling the dice and play with Variations of Variations ...
Color Gradient Editor. It features a detachable fractal Preview pane. Its detached location is sticky.
You can stash good gradients in the Gradient Stash and switch between them with ease.
3. Editor windows have been resized to fit on better on 11 inch MacBook Air.Bug Fixes =========
1. Fixed fatal crash that occasionally happened at the very end of rendering to an image file.
2. Fixed fatal crash when an thumbnail is dragged from OR dropped on the Welcome Screen -> Make New thumbnails.
3. Fixed fatal crash when a fractal preview window is closed, while the render for its fractal image has not yet finished.
4. Fixed QuickLook showing the wrong fractal during the opening animation.
Workaround/Fixes for Mac Lion Finder Issues ======
1. Dragging a fractal from the Fractal Architect app and dropping it on the Lion Finder will work, then immediately the file disappears from the Finder folder.
(This has been reported on Forums when dragging a file off a USB thumb drive onto a Finder folder too.)
Workaround: Option-Click on the Finder Icon in the Dock with the mouse and select Relaunch. This restarts the Finder and fixes the problem.
2. Finder Icon View does not show the Icon size slider.
Open the Finder. Choose View -> Show Status Bar. Now the Icon size slider is visible.
Known Issues on Lion =======
1. Sometimes when opening a fractal Preview window, only a thumbnail of the image is shown in the bottom left corner of the Preview window. Resize the window slightly fixes the issue.
Flam4 GPU accelerated renderer=========
See: Help -> Flam4 Renderer Support
in the Fractal Architect application.
Also see: http://fractalarchitect.net/support.html for more information on this feature supported only on Macs with Nvidia GPU's.
Changes for Version 1.2.2 New and Improved Features ================
1. Fractals rendered to JPEG, TIFF, JPEG-2000 and BMP formats are now shown at the end of rendering. Previously only PNG images were shown.Bug Fixes =========
1. Fixed bug where flames rendered to JPEG format were always rendered to lowest quality!
2. Fixed bug where variation parameters whose value were = 0 were not saved to the flame file. Those fractals did not render properly in the main product. They did render correctly however using the Finder plugin.
3. Fixed bug where printing progress was not shown when printing a fractal.
4. Fixed bug where a fractal created outside of Fractal Architect that specified a standard Flam3 palette could not have its colors changed in Fractal Architect.
5. Fixed bug where adjusted quality multiplier for zoomed out fractals was less than one, resulting in a lower quality setting during the render.
6. Fixed bug where drag & drop from the Preview window did not work properly.
7. Fixed bug where values entered into the fields for Final Transform's color index, color speed, and opacity had no effect. (Only Final transforms were affected by this bug.)
8. Fixed bug where the title of rendered image's window did not show its file's name.Known Issues =========
1. CUDA driver versions 3.2.17 and 4 are supported for CUDA GPU acceleration. Macbook Pros (2008) with both 9400M and 9600M GPU's must use CUDA 3.2.17.Changes for Version 1.2.1 New and Improved Features ================
contents can now be changed. Put your own favorites there.
2. Added Export for Apophysis 7x
(File -> Export for Apophysis 7x). Creates a flame file that Apophysis can read.
3. Added + Linked
button to Transforms table, which adds a new Transform that is linked to the currently selected transform by chaos.
(The chaos weight from selected transform to new transform is 100% and 0% to all others.)
4. Improved parsing of flame files created by Apophysis.
5. Added chaos and linked transform tutorial to help manual.
6. Rendered PNG files are no longer added to the File -> Open Recent list.Bug Fixes =========
1. Fixed the Flame "temporal_filter_type" XML attribute value to be "box" and not "ga" when defaulted.
2. Fixed File -> Render Image to File using Flam4 GPU accelerated renderer with very high quality settings > 9,000.
3. Fixed error logging from background thread.
4. Fixed drag & drop from Preview window with new unsaved
random flame, so that it drops a "randomFlame_nnn.flame
" into Finder (was leaving Picture Clipping before).
5. Fixed crash from spacebar press on Interpolated view (when no frame has been selected).
6. Fixed interpolation/slider manipulation of these text fields on Triangle Editor.
Flame Params Tab: hue, highlight power, brightness, gamma,& vibrancy,
Dimension Tab: x, y, scale, zoom, rotation
Changes for Version 1.2.0 Summary of Key Changes ======
Completely support all features of the flam3 renderer. Functional completeness for static fractal image creation. Prepare for fractal animation.
Support for Fractal transform "chaos" (sometimes called "Xaos") for default renderer.
Support for all of the many flam3 render engine parameters.
Drag and drop entire color maps from the Color editor.
Color values now show the HTML color code. (You can edit those directly too).
New and Improved Features ================
1. Support for flam3 version 3.0 and Apophysis like chaos
parameters, Chaos allows you to alter the flow of points from transform to transform during fractal generation. (Advanced)
2. Fractal's now retain the actual # of color nodes internally, not the flam3 default 256. This helps color editing of new fractals.
Once a fractal is saved to a file, the color nodes are expanded to 256 colors, for flam3 compatibility.
You can save color gradients (with the original # of color nodes) in the UGR list tab of the Color editor to a gradient file, if you want to preserve the original number of color nodes.
You can later reload those saved gradients and use them to color other fractals.
3. Added new Flam3 Tab to Triangle editor to allow you to change all render engine parameters. Most users can ignore
these and just use the default values. (Advanced)
4. Added new persistent preferences Tab for Flam3 render engine parameters. The supplied defaults should be adequate for most users. (Advanced)
5. Added highlight_power
parameter that helps control color clipping. Added optional early clip mode
when rendering to file. (Advanced).
6. Much improved fractal preview window resize behavior with non-locked aspect ratios. What you see is what you get - very intuitive.
The render to file dialogs no longer provide a major/minor axes resize behavior selector. Rendering to file uses the same intuitive behavior for rendering to a different aspect ratio as the preview window.
7. For fractals that have been scaled a lot from the default, the render file dialog now allow you to select an optional automatic quality multiplier
to compensate for large scaling.
The actual quality after the multiplier is applied is also shown. Higher quality increases rendering time. (Magnifying the fractal image by using scaling has the effect of reduced apparent quality otherwise.)
8. For complex variations with extra variation parameters, the default values for these are improved. These new defaults are better starting points for further custom editing.
9. The color editor now allows you to use drag & drop of color maps (to/from the Color editor) to:
a) Incorporate the color settings from another fractal. Drag from that other fractal's preview or editor thumbnail and drop on top of the color gradient image.
b) Drag from the color gradient image to another fractal's preview or editor thumbnail to change the other fractal's colors.
c) Drag from the color gradient image to a random fractal's thumbnail image to change the random fractal's colors.
10. Render to file dialog now allows you to temporarily override some key render engine parameters that give higher image quality at the possible expense of longer renders.
11. On the Color editor, the currently selected color node and the background color are shown as both decimal R, G, and B values and as a HTML compatible hexadecimal color code.
You can edit either the decimal values or the hexadecimal color code. This makes it easy to import color codes from an existing Web page.
12. Color editor now has a new "Roll Dice" button, so you can just try totally random color combinations - easy!
13. Designer nickname and URL fields and preferences so the fractal files can optionally have your contact info in them.
14. Electric Sheep fractal edit history data present in fractal files is preserved by Fractal Architect.
15. Frames viewer now shows the frame time for each fractal key frame. These can be edited there or in the fractal dimensions tab on the Triangle Editor.Bug Fixes =========
1. Fixed upside-down printing of fractals.
2. Fixed behavior of open-quicklook and open-preview-window menu items. These sometimes did not work properly in prior versions.
3. Fixed race condition bug with Random fractal generator that could lead to intermittent crash. In practice, this was a very rare occurrence - only seen once by the developer.
4. Fixed undo behavior for mouse drag fractal scaling and Preview window 90 degree rotation.
5. Fixed preview window zooming (clicking on the little green button) so that the aspect ratio is preserved after the zoom (if aspect ratio lock is set).
6. Fixed the behavior of Triangle panel regarding rectangular and polar coordinates.Notes ============
The flam3 "flux" variation is not yet supported.
Drag and drop of recently opened or gallery fractals from the Home page to either a Preview window or an Editor thumbnail (which causes the dropped fractal to be opened in a Preview window)
does not preserve the designer's URL or nickname. Dropping those same fractals onto a finder window instead, DOES preserve those two fields.
Changes for Version 1.1.1 Summary of Key Bug Fixes ======
Fixed Preview rotate, scale, and translate problems that happened under heavy, fast mouse driven changes.
Fixed final transform editing.
Improved application handling of exhausted GPU memory with Flam4 GPU accelerated renderer.
Bug Fixes ======
- Color_speed setting now shows the transform's color speed, not its symmetry value.
- Dragging and dropping a new fractal onto the currently visible frame thumbnail (in the frames view) now causes the Preview window to show the new fractal.
- Final transform editing is fixed. Many of the final transform parameters were not being saved properly.
- Using mouse dragging to rotate, translate, and scale the fractal (in the Preview view) has been fixed. Previously, if you did many fast, small click-and-drags the fractal would rotate, translate, or scale incorrectly.
- For the Preview view, re-render requests no longer accumulate with lots of rotate, scale, or translate changes.
- The editor's thumbnail view now uses the correct Colorspace setting so the colors shown are accurate.
- If a fractal has not yet been saved to a file yet, the Open with TextEdit menu item is now disabled.
- Fixed bug where with Interpolation view thumbnails, only one quicklook can be done. Now you can quicklook on multiple interpolated thumbnails.
- Opening quicklook on an interpolated thumbnail no longer makes permanent changes to the interpolated parameter (that had required manual Undo to discard).
- Fixed layout problem for thumbnails shown in Recently Opened tab.
- Fixed problem with background colors turning to black when opening fractals with non-black background color.
Minor Enhancements ========
- Fixed crash when File -> Save As was applied to the same fractal more than once during an editing session.
- The Preview view's background color is now set to the fractal's background color (better appearance when rotating Preview).
- Color_speed and animation properties are now written out to the fractal definition file.
- Low GPU memory behavior for Flam4 has changed.
- Flam3 parameters filter and supersample are now editable on the Flame Parameters tab.
- Improved random value generation for these variation parameters: (they will now only be integer values):
- julian_power, juliascope_power, wedg_julia_power, ngon_power, ngon_sides, flower_petals
- Recently Opened tab now refreshes its contents every time you visit the tab.
- Switching the render engine from Flam3 to Flam4 now causes all Preview and editor thumbnails to re-render.
- Switching to Flam4 render engine in Preferences now checks for available GPU memory.
- Flam4 and Flam3 specific parameters are now hidden when the other renderer is used.
- Variations can now have negative weight.
- Flam4 out of GPU memory check now checks for 45 Mb minimum. Switches back to Flam3 CPU rendering if free GPU memory below 35 Mb.
- New blank or random fractals opened in a Preview window are marked as needing saving.
- Editing transform opacity no longer requires you to enter % sign.
- Random fractals now randomly have the rotates checkbox selected, so they can be animated with Flam4 renderer.
Usage Change ========
Pressing the Control key
, while dragging the mouse, to rotate
the fractal in the Preview view has changed.
Now you press the Command key
while dragging the mouse instead. This changes means that the context menu is no longer accidentally opened with rotation mouse drags.Changes made for Prior Version 1.1.0 Bug Fixes ======
- Fixed crash from resizing the log window while a render is in progress.
- Fixed crash when saving changes to fractal (after Triangle editor edits).
- Fixed rendering of non-black background colors.
- Fixed rendering of transparent backgrounds for fractal image files.
- Fixed these variations: exp, log, sin, cos, tan, sec, csc, cot, sinh, cosh, tanh, sech, csch, coth
- Thumbnail images shown by editor windows now use the correct colorspace.
- Double clicking on a thumbnail in the frame batch view, now opens the correct frame.
- Fixed aspect ratio related stuff in Render Image to File and Render PNG Batch dialogs.
- Added ability to cancel the rendering of a random batch of fractals.
- Added aspect ratio and background color preferences for randomly created fractals.
- Improved the appearance of rendered PNG images for fractals with transparent backgrounds. Shows the customary checker pattern for transparent areas of the fractal image.
- Added the Save As… option for any thumbnail fractal image so you can now save any random fractal or interpolated fractal.
- Added default minimum and maximum random values for many variation parameters.
- Improved the product logo's appearance.
- Render to File using different aspect ratios from the source document now resizes the image.